Today marks 'Two Years to Go' until September 9, 2011, when Rugby World Cup 2011 (RWC 2011) will kick off with the opening match between New Zealand and Tonga at Auckland's Eden Park.
LISTEN TO NEW ZEALAND PRIME MINISTER JOHN KEY AT THE 'TWO YEARS TO GO' EVENT IN HAMILTON>>
Tournament organiser, Rugby New Zealand 2011 Limited (RNZ 2011) has today indicated that planning is on track, with several key phases finalised, including the match schedule and allocating the 13 host venues, earlier in 2009.
"The number one priority for RNZ 2011 is to ensure the organisation of a first class event that meets the needs of players, coaches, administrators and spectators," said CEO Martin Snedden.
"We've been working very closely with Tournament owner Rugby World Cup Limited (RWCL), Host Regions across New Zealand as well as our Shareholders the New Zealand Rugby Union and the New Zealand Government, and are confident that the groundwork is in place for an outstanding Tournament".
"While there is still much to do, the level of cooperation across the country has been unprecedented. There is a real desire not just to get this right, but to be exceptional".
Packaged around the core Tournament is the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that RWC 2011 will provide for New Zealand to showcase itself to the world. With a cumulative viewing audience of four billion, playing host to one of the world's premier sporting events will allow New Zealand to market itself as a sought after destination, while also welcoming international visitors with typical warm 'Kiwi' hospitality.
"While hosting a great Rugby Tournament is of the utmost importance, it will be the friendly welcome, top-notch service and 'Kiwi' experience that guests will take home with them and remember for years to come," commented Mr Snedden.
"This is an unmissable opportunity for all New Zealanders to step up and show our wonderful country to the world. We need to be excellent hosts and make sure everyone has a good time, whether they be players, media, punters attending the games or fans soaking up the atmosphere in the regional Fan Zones," he added.
Snedden and RNZ 2011 Chariman Jock Hobbs toured Eden Park yesterday with IRB Chairman, Bernard Lapasset and CEO Mike Miller who are both in New Zealand to mark the milestone.
"The International Rugby Board is confident that the Tournament, the seventh chapter in the remarkable Rugby World Cup story, will be a wonderful success, bringing together the New Zealand Rugby Community and the Global Rugby family for a remarkable festival of world class Rugby" said Mr Lapasset.
To mark the 'Two Years to Go' milestone, RNZ 2011 has produced a document detailing the state of play as the countdown intensifies to the biggest sporting event ever to be hosted by New Zealand.
This document provides detailed updates on all facets of the Tournament's organisation including ticketing, travel and accommodation and venue improvements. It also outlines the work undertaken by the New Zealand Government in the areas such as showcasing New Zealand, hosting, investment and tourism.
Contributions have also been provided by each Host Region, outlining the work they have done in their area to provide the best possible experience for visitors and the legacy that will be left to the region as a result of playing host.
VIEW THE COMMEMORATIVE 'TWO YEARS TO GO' BOOK HERE >>
With just 730 days remaining until kick off the pressure will grow to ensure everything is done right but so does the excitement as New Zealand prepares to take centre stage in a truly global event.
- New Plymouth
- Palmerston North
- Team Bases
|11 SEP 2011||IRE||-||USA|
|15 SEP 2011||RUS||-||USA|
|26 SEP 2011||WAL||-||NAM|